Monday, April 19, 2010

Journalistic toolbox expands with iPad

By Matthew Boyle | mboyle@flagler.edu

I want an iPad. I never thought I’d ever say that sentence before, but Apple’s craze has finally hit me – again. I remember, way back, when iPods first came out, I didn’t want one. But, Apple found a way to make me want one- podcasts. I was hosting one at Boise State’s newspaper, The Arbiter, and couldn’t listen to it on the go without an iPod.

Now, as a ready-to-graduate journalist, I need an iPad. I’ve seen its functionality at work in the field and have heard nothing but praise from fellow reporters about the iPad’s magnificence as a reporting tool.

Now, though, I’ll have to find a way to pay for it- at $500 it’s kind of pricey. But, it’ll be worth it when I’m getting scoops from the field the old-time, shoe-leather journalists can’t even get from their offices.

It’s a portable reporter’s dream. Pull it out, flick it on and there’s my access to the entire world of information from anywhere. And, it’s smaller than many of the notebooks I carry around. So, here’s a toast to Apple for getting me, the skeptical consumer, on board so quickly. I’ll be buying an iPad with my next paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment